Friday, December 14, 2012

Tis the Season

I've started getting Christmas cards in the mail this week. Hooray! Christmas cards are one of my favorite things about this time of the year.

I'm not sure why. It's not like I don't know what's already happening in everyone's lives or that I haven't already seen 500+ pictures of their family this year. With facebook, instagram, and blogs how can I not stay updated?

A friend of mine recently posed a question on facebook asking if sending Christmas cards via e-mail is tacky. I don't know about tacky but there is just something that warms my soul to have happy smiling faces of people I love on my fridge. Maybe it's the symbol of time invested. Really any snail mail I get that isn't a bill or ad is almost fridge-worthy. Handwritten notes or even just personal correspondence are so precious and rare. I think receiving something personal makes me feel special--I must mean something to someone if they are willing to deal with the hassel of finding a paper and pen, along with an envelope and a stamp, AND getting the mail to the mailbox.

Where do you stand on the issue? Do you send them and to who? Do you receive many? What do you think about e-mail versus snail mail Christmas cards?

2 comments:

  1. I love receiving cards in the mail. It's so much nicer than bills and junk...I usually always send cards. This year I was going to skip it and simplify my personal expectations. But, I felt guilty, so the cards are on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting cards in the mail. When displayed, they become part of my Christmas decor.

    ReplyDelete