Thursday, December 13, 2012

Consider Me An Expert

Just yesterday while driving home on my usual route I spotted a skunk!  That's right... a striped skunk wandering about right by the elementary school in the middle of the day.  Luckily I was at a four way stop and able to snap a picture.  This all took place within one block of my house.  I don't think I've ever seen a live skunk before and obviously all common sense went out the window when I decided to roll it down and get a picture.  What if it had sprayed me?
I sat in my car in the driveway for a good five minutes working up the courage to get out of the car and go into the house but not before I quickly googled how fast skunks can run (10 miles per hour).  I made it in and out of the house ok and I'm here to tell about it!  Thanks to Wikipedia, I'm now an expert on skunks. 

Here are some interesting facts:

1.  They are omniverous - eating both plants and animals (rodents, birds and human gargbage).  It was garbage day too!  What are the odds?

2.  They range from 1 pound to 18 pounds!  Can you even imagine coming across an 18 pound skunk?

3.  They can spray as far as 10 feet with a great deal of accuracy.

4.  It's predator is the Great Horned Owl, which interestingly enough doesn't have a sense of smell.

5.  Skunks are native to America though they can be found in Canada and the UK.

Even though skunks can be domesticated as pets, I sure hope an elementary-aged school child doesn't find it and try to take it home with those famous words of "Can we keep it?"





1 comment:

  1. That's definitely a highly recognizable smell. And gratefully I've never been skunked.

    ReplyDelete