Saturday, November 3, 2012

Unexpected Technical School

Among many things, I want my daughter to be smart brilliant in the most normal way possible. Who doesn't right?

Everyone who's anyone who wrote a how-to-raise-a-baby book says you should talk to your baby way before they can talk back. They say to "narrate your day" to the baby describing everything you do. I'm always eager to take advice so I've been talking my daughter's ear off for the last 6 months. 

Is it working?

I haven't a clue.

I figure if this whole "mom thing" doesn't work out for me, I've been preparing for another calling:


The activity that I narrate the most happens to be cooking, which in and of itself is a miracle because that means I'm cooking on a semi-regular basis.

I can't help but think of myself as a food show host when I'm julienning carrots and teaching the baby all about French knives and how they differ from paring, serrated, or butcher knives and how a julienne cut is supposed to be 1/4 inch on each side and how carrots are full of beta-carotene which is beneficial for this and this and this reason...all while my studio audience gnaws on a rubber rattle.


Turns out I may be good at multitasking after all.



Erica

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure (read: absolutely sure) that I don't know any of those things about knives, so maybe I need to pretend you're my mom (or my cooking instructor!)

    ReplyDelete