Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Toaster Babies


Sometimes when I see young mothers snuggling their babies, I wish I still had one. I loved to kiss and smell their chubby, soft necks scented of Baby Magic. I adore feeling completely loved and thoroughly needed. Perhaps I am agonizing over the slow loss of my youth. I mean I am closer to menopause than child bearing. But then I remember...

TOASTER BABIES!!!!

A toaster baby is a child who, once you put down to bed, pops right back up. My boys, being only 15 months apart, kept me on my toes. Bedtime was never easy. Back then my husband worked nights. The first two years we were married he worked days, but when babies started coming he worked nights for the subsequent seven years. (Secretly, I think he worked that shift on purpose, and sometimes I resented him for it.) I think he planned it so that he wouldn't be around for the bedtime routine. I remember many nights holding the bedroom door shut so the little guys couldn't come bounding out of their room for the tenth time. Was this child abuse? I think not. I hoped that I could outlast them and eventually they would go back to their beds and sleep. More often than not, I was the one who had sunk to the floor in defeat, sobbing because I just couldn't do it anymore.

So, now when I feel that little nag and need for a baby fix all I have to do is remember my exhaustion and lack of sleep.

Do you have toaster babies, too?

**Disclaimer:  This is in no way meant to be anti-baby.  I loved that phase of my life.
There were just parts I would have been happy without**


8 comments:

  1. I love that term! Our boy has gone through that phase. We turned his doorknob around so we could lock him in! It worked really well for awhile, but then he learned he could just bang on the door. Since he has stopped taking naps though, he usually falls asleep quite quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i love this! we don't have kids yet, but "toaster baby" is hilarious...i'll have to look forward to that! thanks for commenting on the testimony tuesday post today! following your cute blog now! xo chaseandem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard that phrase before to describe that phenomenon but it is TOTALLY fitting. I wish I had the energy for more babies, but I don't and I know it. My baby is 7 years-old. Time flies. My kids pet chickens make me feel completely needed and loved. They run to me whenever they see me, follow me around, and are totally excited that I'm there. My not-high-school-aged kids also still make me feel pretty good. The high school kids ... I love them. I do. But they become fairly self-absorbed at that stage. It's the healthy breaking away thing. I look forward to more "toaster babies" in the next life when I have unlimited energy. :) Now that would be heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put my baby down for the second time for her morning nap. As soon as she hit the mattress her eyes popped open both times. She's crying in her crib as I type this. Glad I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! My husband travels and my three boys are oddly more toaster than not when he's away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post. I have a little one who wakes up every time I put her down for a nap. She does sleep really well at night though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter has her fair share of toaster baby syndrome. Overall, she is a good sleeper, but I can relate with you in that some nights I just let her win.

    ReplyDelete