Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cold Turkey

Happy Thanksgiving!  If you're reading this, get back in the kitchen and finish doing the dishes.  They aren't going to wash themselves.

What do you get when you cross a literal person with a naive one?  Me.  With a combination like that it's no surprise I've had a few ridiculous moments.  Here's one:

It was the day after Thanksgiving sometime in the 90's.  I was a young teenager and my sister, my cousin, and I were in the kitchen eating Thanksgiving leftovers.
I opened a container of turkey and, putting a piece in my mouth said, "Look! I'm quitting smoking."  I was met with blank stares.  I continued, "Get it? Because I'm eating cold turkey..."  My older sister kindly explained that when people quit smoking "cold turkey" it just meant that they stopped smoking suddenly, not that they curbed their nicotine craving by replacing it with eating cold turkey. 

Well, that makes sense.  And by sense I mean no sense at all.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute! But, what's funny, is that is something we would say to be funny, even knowing that it was just a play with words. And, you are so right! It does not make sense. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete