Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Reflections on Superstorm Sandy

Happy Halloween everyone! Although, you all know that if it were up to me, we would have been done celebrating on Friday!
 
I can cross living through a hurricane off my list of life experiences as I have been (and am now currently) in "hunker down" mode at my house. Going to be honest here, where I live it didn't seem like more than just a really bad, windy rainstorm that lasts all day long. And while I thought for a second that I may be one of the millions of people without power, we were very lucky to only have our lights flicker a bit. I have been watching the news like everyone else and am stunned to see images from the New Jersey shore and New York City (both places I've visited in the last year and loved), and my heartfelt prayers go out to all those who still are in harm's way. But because we like to keep things a bit light here on this blog, there have been a few things I've noticed/learned during Sandy that I'd like to share with you all.

1. New Jersey/Philadelphia Weather Ladies are all cute and chesty. I watched them for two days straight and there must be something in the water here:)



2. Always take in your garbage cans when there's a hurricane coming. We must be novices because around 3 pm we heard a crash and looked out to see dirty diapers strewn down our very wet driveway. Luckily the husband braved the storm to go out and rescue the neighbors from our grossness.

3. If you hear of a big storm coming your way 5 days in advance, do not read the news late at night. I didn't sleep very well all week.

4. If you hear of a big storm coming your way 5 days in advance, get water and batteries right away. Our store aisles cleared out VERY quickly (like I didn't get any...another reason number 3 happened).

5. I love my church. This won't surprise any Mormons out there, but when we went to church on Sunday (with the storm looming) there was an emergency plan in place to contact every member of the congregation to ensure their safety and well being and offers of help were abundant. Not everyone has this.

6. There is nothing like a good scare, to make you take emergency preparedness a little more seriously. I felt lucky that we knew this storm was coming days in advance so that I had time to dot my i's and cross my t's and prepare for days without power or possibly water. With something like an earthquake, you don't have that kind of warning, so lesson learned.

7. I feel bad for people who have the name of major storms. There is no way of guaranteeing that this will never happen to your child unless you name them something like Janessica or Djadon (both actual names of former students I taught). So sorry Katrina!

                                                                     Lindsay

4 comments:

  1. haha i love these observations! i'm glad the worst of it is over. so sweet how you talked about the plan in place at church! you can always count on that! XO we are now following!
    chaseandem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you faired the weather safely. Very scary times, but it is such an assurance when you have some food storage and the safety new of the Church emergency plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the chesty weather ladies! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your insane sister contacted you daily. Natural disasters scare me. And I knew about Djadon, but how on earth did I not know about Janessica. Still laughing.

    ReplyDelete