Monday, October 29, 2012

Nap Time to Nope Time

Well, the much dreaded day has arrived.  The day in which MY SON HAS QUIT NAPPING  (sorry to yell at you, I'm just a bit out of my wits).

Everything had been going swimmingly with him taking a two hour nap every day without fail until one day, out of the clear blue, he quit taking naps.  I don't know why I'm surprised.  Every other person who has a 3 year old has told me they generally grow out of taking naps around this age, but I thought my child would be the exception since he was such an exceptional nap taker. 

During his naps I would generally tidy the house or read a book or take a nap or work on a craft or browse the Internet or watch a movie.  Not the most productive things in the world, but it was a nice break in the middle of the day.  Not to mention that I have had it timed so that my kids would nap at the same time - most mothers know that that is no small feat.  (And yes, I'm one of those parents who have their children on a pretty tight schedule, but that's another post for another day.  No, it's not.  They're on a schedule.  What more can I say?)

Anyway, to deal with this unfortunate event I have created "quiet time" where I make him lay in his bed for at least an hour during the time his sister is napping.  I kind of feel like a mean mom for making him do so, but certainly not mean enough to quit.  And he hasn't complained, so I guess this new arrangement will have to suffice.  Just know that it's a sad time around here folks.  A sad, sad time. 

7 comments:

  1. My son napped every day until about 4, and then he started phasing naps out. Which was mostly ok, but now he still needs a nap every few days, which mean he will fall asleep in the car, or pass out on the couch right before dinner, and some days I have a really hard time waking him up, then he is up until midnight, which makes him tired the next day, and it is a vicious cycle. So now I would rather he goes to bed early than nap at all. It can be such a delicate balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very sad. Jefferson's mom never gave up nap time at their house...she still does it today. The kids had to go into their bedroom for quiet time. And, coincidentally I just pinned a page on things for your kids to do when nap time disappears and they need quite time on my Pinterest boards, it may be helpful for you during this period of mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider yourself lucky. My son, who is 3 now, phased naps out at about a year. He's not a hyper kid who's so full of energy that no naps were needed, he just decided there were better things to do during the day than nap. Maybe twice a week, he'll fall asleep in some random place since then but it's never consistent enough for me. ; ) Naptime is great. With baby #3 on the way, I think I will start introducing this quiet time your speak of... That would be delightful! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same time. Went from nap time to quiet time. They were allowed to read books, but had to rest in their bed. You know what? Sometimes they fell asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be glad he lasted that long Jenna stopped napping at a young age of 18 months. Yep you heard me right 18 months. I am sorry for this sad sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sorta hate naps actually because I hate being stuck in the house for hours, especially when one kid quits napping and the other one(s) are still napping. I hold to the 7 pm bedtime pretty religiously though. I like having a free daytime schedule to go to parks and the store especially now that I do multiple drop offs/pick ups and we have lessons and stuff. And I hate to give you a "just you wait" but now that I have 4 mess makers, time to tidy up and read have gone for good, I fear. Just waiting for retirement to resume those things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a sad time for sure... and I still make Max have quiet time every day. I don't think it's a bad/mean thing- I think it teaches them to play quietly and to entertain themselves for a little bit- not to mention the break from each other!

    ReplyDelete