Wednesday, October 24, 2012

If You Like Your Halloween Scary

Halloween is a fun holiday, especially for the kids, but honestly, it isn't one I really get in to. We finally carved pumpkins yesterday, and I might get around to making some decorations this week with my 4-year old. Costumes? Of course I procrastinate on those.

Then there is the issue of Halloween movies. Do you watch the silly ones with the kiddos? Do you enjoy a late-night scare-fest with your spouse/girlfriends/someone to hide behind? Or do you enjoy the slew of suspenseful horror movies that come out this month? Personally, I am not a fan of scary movies. I get too scared, then we go to bed and my husband is out in 8.4 seconds, and I am left alone in the dark to relieve the scariest moments. (We used to watch Criminal Minds a lot, right before bed. Not a good idea.) I don't think I have really watched a scary movie in  . . . several years at least. I do "enjoy" M. Knight Shyamalan's movies (most of them), but I still prefer them in the daylight.

Well, if you are the type who does enjoy the chest-tightening thrill of a good scary show,  I have something for you to watch (after the kiddos go to bed). We are Dr. Who fans (not groupies, just fans), and the large majority of the episodes are weird, campy, "out-there" ideas, but I wouldn't classify them as scary, because most of the aliens/creatures don't look very realistic, or like something you could run across while performing your daily errands. This episode is very different. It is terrifying. After watching this, I thought these weeping angels would come after me in my sleep. The episode is called "Blink." Here is a clip that is about seven minutes, but I encourage you to find the whole episode on Netflix (or elsewhere) to really get the most terrifying effect. (Season 3, Episode 11, and Season 5, Episodes 4&5) Unless you are easily prone to nightmares.




3 comments:

  1. I have a love hate relationship with scary movies. Mostly hate...but I watch them to please my boys or my husband. As for Halloween? Not my favorite holiday...."Here kids, why don't you go beg for some candy from strangers." That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one around here who LOVES Halloween, though you would not be able to tell from my lack of costumes, decor, scary food and scary movies. Maybe I just have to have kids grow up, beg for overpriced costumes, binge on candy, and rub their painted faces on my furniture to change my mind. ...But probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Who is one of my family's favorite shows. Even the six year old likes it. (No, he has not seen "Blink". That one is a little too scary!)

    ReplyDelete