Saturday, October 13, 2012

Dinner Party So-Pros


Last night, my husband and I went with our son to a dinner party. We turned up just a few minutes fashionable late, took along some drinks and joined in the festivities for a lovely BBQ and meal with some friends and family.

As most of you will be aware, when you have a one and a half year old in tow who has already been playing and then sitting patiently for a few hours, as soon as the meal is over, and sometimes even before the meal is over, it is time to leave. He was the only child in attendance, so his whining wasn’t even buffered by the whining of other children. Just him and adults.

So my question to you all is, how soon is too soon after a meal to leave? We were having a lovely time and certainly would have enjoyed spending a few more hours chatting, but it’s sometimes just not a feasible option.
Leaving because of a child and his bedtime is usually forgivable, but it causes me to wonder how soon is too soon in this social scenario, child or not? What’s the So-Pro? For those of you on the outer, ‘So-Pro’ stands for Social Protocol. I might have just made it up.

So, is it polite to stay an hour or two? Do you just have to help with the clean up? If you have to leave early do you leave before dessert? What is the rule of thumb?

1 comment:

  1. I always go by my kids. Sometimes, they seem to us like they're acting absolutely obnoxious and ridiculous... and thats mainly because they are the only kid there. Most people have children and totally understand and in most cases, your kiddo wouldn't, in reality, be acting up that bad. But if your little one is really making you feel out of place or uncomfortable, I'd say, after dinner, its polite to explain its bed time for the little guy and excuse yourself home. You could always offer to clean up while you're spouse puts the little one in the car? But most people would be gracious that you even offered and tell ya its not a big deal. I know I would. Does this help at all? I've spent all night being sick so I might not be making a lot of sense right now. What did you end up doing???

    ReplyDelete