Saturday, September 22, 2012

My "Aha!" Moment

Last month I wrote about my hate/hate relationship with cooking.  One of the reasons that I don't enjoy cooking is because I'm not very good at it.  Which is the same reason I don't like driving or cleaning bathtubs.  However, my cooking skillz are getting better and I have high hopes that by the time I am 50 I will no longer have to call my mom to ask her what braising means...or what a scallop is...or if I can come over for dinner. 

Anyway, back to me not being good at cooking.  Here is a recent example.

Lately I've been making recipes off of the recipe website Our Best Bites.  It's great.  Not only do they have recipes that taste good and are easy to make, they include pictures to boot.  After trying out the Cowboy Quesadillas and the Stuffed Pizza Rolls I was a big, big fan. 

But then I tried the Grilled Chicken and Berry Salad and the Chicken Fajitas and I thought "Man, these girls sure love their garlic!"  I mean, these meals were garlic-y, to the point where the husband and I couldn't eat them.

Not one to give up easily, I decided to try just one more recipe.  This time it was the Tortellini Spinach Bake and I was going to just totally omit the three cloves of garlic that it called for.
So there I was reading the recipe, looking at the pictures, and putting the food together when I saw the picture of the three cloves of garlic being added.  I thought to myself "that doesn't look like 3 cloves of garlic, that looks like a half a clove of garlic.  Unless...a clove of garlic...isn't an entire garlic bulb...but rather a section of a garlic bulb..."  A quick Google search confirmed my thoughts.  When a recipe was calling for three cloves of garlic I was putting three entire garlic bulbs in the recipe, not three sections of a garlic bulb.  Which is why the meals tasted so disgusting.  Which is why my husband started encouraging me to stop trying new recipes.  Which is why sometimes I really hate cooking.

19 comments:

  1. Just laughed out loud. That is a lot of garlic! I've actually recently switched to pre-minced garlic that you just scoop out of a jar; so much easier and less hand-stinkiness than the fresh garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud too! This sounds like something I would totally do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I bet your smelt of garlic for days. I used to use the pre-minced garlic too until I came across this treasure. Best money I ever spent. I love fresh garlic in my food and this peels the cloves is seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I bet you had garlic breath for a week. And the gas! I'm not gunna lie, huge amounts of garlic cause gas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel bad. I did that too when I was first learning how to cook and I couldn't figure out why the recipes I kept making were so horrible. We all make mistakes! 12 years later, I think I'm a pretty decent cook. And FYI, if you ever can't figure out what scallions are, it is just a fancy way of saying green onions. Don't ask the produce guy at the grocery store, chances are he is a high school student and he won't know what scallions are either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kasey! Time to rethink your whole "no cable" philosophy and get yourself some food network. Pretty sure I didn't know what a clove of garlic was before Ina Garten showed me what one was...or was it Rachel Ray? Really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha kasey you just made me laugh do hard just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's hilarious! Thanks for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!! Seriously, it made my Monday awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha! I remember when I first started cooking with garlic and trying to figure out how much a clove was. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! When my sister was in high school, she was making cookies for a big family reunion and we saw her literally up to her elbows in cookie batter. These were drop cookies. Her cookies were not quite mixed and when eaten you might end up with a mouthful of flour or a chunk of brown sugar. We, of course, teased her mercilessly for years about it. Finally, in an attempt to defend herself she said, "the recipe said mix BY HAND...oh wait.." Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awesome! Thanks for the giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My.... at least your heart should be happy.... and don't even worry about the pesky vampires!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! I actually made the exact same mistake when I was first learning how to cook. After carefully roasting a bunch of eggplant, I ruined an entire batch of baba ghanouj because I put three whole bulbs of garlic in it. Over a decade later, I am a pretty decent cook, but I'm still too scarred from the experience to ever try cooking baba ghanouj again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This gave me a great smile for the day. We all have our learning experiences in cooking and this is one you will remember always. :) Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too funny! Live and learn -- those recipes ARE great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the laugh! Too funny. We've all have had those aha moments in the kitchen. I've leaned so much from watching food network and of course all the wonderful food blogs with step by step pictures! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. priceless. What a great memory! You'll never forget this story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. But now you can try all those other recipes ... and see how they REALLY taste! You know, without the dense garlic paste inside. ;)

    ReplyDelete