Thursday, September 6, 2012

Blogkward

Around 2006-2007 we all got family blogs. It was awesome. Suddenly, one could learn everything they ever wanted (and didn't want) to know about people they knew...

AND people they didn't know.

Let's all take a moment to admit that we were/are ALL blog stalkers.

Hi, I'm Lindsay. And I was a blog stalker.

Oh, wait. You didn't blog stalk. Okay so I'm alone here.

There are some people that I felt like I knew personally. Some people that I wished I were friends with. Some people who I laughed at (and not with). Some people who were housewives trying their darndest to be Hollywood trust fund kids (those were my favorites). Some people who I had like one conversation with in high school and now I knew all about their kids' first day of school or what their spouse surprised them with for their birthday or whether or not they got an epidural (ewwww). It was a great time waster/entertainment.

This was all fine and good when the stalking was just stalking at my home on my computer, but there was this time...

You see, I had been stalking a friend of a friend for quite some time and not even to laugh at. This was not an unknown person to me, I had maybe spoken to him 3 times in my life. His wife was a rather good and entertaining blogger, so I just kept reading. They weren't private, so this is what they wanted right? Well, then came the dreaded day that I ran into him in actual real life.

My end of the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey, Tim (name has been changed). How are you? (I actually know exactly how you are since you went on a cruise last week.)

Me: Are you going to school or do you work? (Yeah, I know that last spring you got a new job, and that it was better than you had hoped to get...your wife was really proud of you.)

Me: Are you married? (I REALLY know that you are married since your wife Abby [name has been changed] keeps talking about you on your family blog.)

Me: Do you have kids? (No, you don't have kids. You are hoping to have kids soon though because your wife called your recent cruise a sort of "pre-pregnancy" vacation.)

It was, in a nutshell, BLOGKWARD.

(Note: I did not come up with the term blogkward on my own. My sister-in-law coined the phrase circa 2008 and claimed that she was going to do a blog post using the term. It's been four years though and I have seen no post, so I stole it! Sorry Maggie [name has been changed]!)

This isn't the only Blogkward moment I have had either. There was another time when I saw a girl whom I didn't know at all but had stalked because she wasn't afraid to show how rich she was (or how far she could push the modesty line, if you know what I mean) or post pics of herself in a bikini, nay multiple bikinis. And guess where I saw her...THE DOLLAR STORE!!! Of course I didn't say anything. I just laughed internally. Made my day really.

Have you ever had a blogkward moment?





3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am definitely a blog stalker. Not as much as a few years ago. The quality of blog over-sharing has really dwindled and I've lost some interest. However, I have definitely had awkward moments already knowing things about someone when I see them :) I just hope they can't call my bluff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never run into anyone whose blog I read. I wonder if I would walk up and say, "Oh hey! I recognize you from your blog" or will I just shy away and then stalk them in the store or where ever...

    ALTHOUGH, I did see Stephanie Nielsen at a book signing once, and I read her blog...

    ReplyDelete