Thursday, August 30, 2012

Weirdo Baby Names


Let me preface this post by saying that I’m not trying to offend anyone when I offer my opinion here. So if your child has a weird name my apologies to you… and your child.
Okay, so when you name your children, do you think about it first or do you just name your child the first sound you sneeze out? You know, you have a tickle in your nose shortly after birth and ‘LaFoyash’ is the sound you make. And you think, ‘That is such a beautiful name! Let’s use that!’


Here’s some things to avoid:

·         A first name that rhymes with your last name. Or is essentially the same name. John Johnson. No!

·         A name your child is going to have to spell for the rest of their life. If you want to name your child Tracey, just spell it normal. Trayci won’t seem so cool to your fifteen year old daughter. I actually met a guy whose name James was spelt Jaymz… So weird.

·         Inanimate objects. No you should not name your child Spatula just because you like the word.

·         Words that have rude connotations. Let’s not name our sons ‘Wang’, okay?

·         Names that require punctuation to be sounded out. For example, Le-a. You’d think it would be pronounced like Leah, right? Nope. Ledasha. Really?!

·         Onomatopoeia – you know words with meanings the same as the sound. Crash, Splash, Bang, Boom. Let’s avoid them.

·         Names of drugs. This goes without saying.
You know about the baby for generally around nine months before it arrives. Sure you might not know the gender, but you can plan something sensible. Someone let the celebrities know.

Jermajesty, Sage Moonblood, Moxie Crimefighter, Pilot Inspektor… yikes.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! My kids' names probably fall in the weirdo category at least a little, but I love this post anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I'm Jami's cousin for those who don't know) I HAVE a weird child name, and even though the teachers always paused before reading my name the first day of class, no one ever knew how to spell it, others wondered if they could just call me by a nickname, and I've always had to spell it out for others...I wouldn't trade it for any other. It's me. I think it bothers others a lot more than me, though;)

    ReplyDelete