Friday, August 31, 2012

The Dreaded Hairdresser Break Up


As much as it pains me to admit this, hair is a big deal. I wish it weren't. This is 2012 for crying out loud! Shouldn't we be over hair by now? And maybe you are over hair and resigned. I haven't reached that point yet. I still want to walk out into the world feeling as confident in my appearance as I possibly can, and good hair does wonders for this woman.

So why is ditching a hairdresser so hard? I don't have a problem going to a new mechanic. It's never phased me to try out a new doctor. I switch grocery stores all the time. I don't just shop at the same clothing store if I don't like the product they are giving me. But with the hairdresser, it's personal.

One problem is that you have to sit in that chair and discuss your life and their life for a few hours. That's longer than most first dates I went on. Maybe you aren't bffs, but you sort of feel like you know them after sitting there for that amount of time. And after having your hour + long conversation, they know you well enough to see you somewhere and notice your new hair and that you didn't come back to them. OUCH. That's got to sting a little.

I'd assume that if you are a hairdresser you have developed a rather thick skin. You've got to understand that people are different; people's style is different; people's preferences are different. Some of us like skinny jeans, some of us don't. Some of us like heals, some of us like flats. Some people like Gene hair, some people like Janessa hair (I actually don't know anyone named Gene or Janessa).

So here's a form letter, I've come up with to help all of you out there trying to break up with your hair person (feel free to copy, paste, and mail/email):

Dear ___________,

I am writing to inform you that I'm going to be taking my business elsewhere. The problem is that (circle one or more: I don't like the way you cut/color my hair, I think you are weird, you are too pricey for me, you take too long, you don't take long enough, you were doing 4 people's hair at once, your magazine selection was the pits, it got really awkward when ___________________.) Don't take it personally. It was nice getting to know you. If we should happen upon each other in the future, I give you free license to be nice to my face and then tell everyone at the salon how bad my new hair looks.

Sincerely,
______________________



See?! Now was that so bad?

After my recent move I have decided that I have a strict (new) policy that I am not going to get my hair done by anyone that I know and love outside of getting my hair done. And if they are in my ward/a neighbor/will be seen at least weekly, forget it! This is not to say that I have not been very pleased with the haircuts/color that I have had done by friends and family members in the past; it's just that if I have to break up with someone that I already love, it's going to crush both of us. I'd just rather not go there.

1 comment:

  1. its better to write how you are feeling and why you are break the relation write in your own wording.

     Break Up Letters 

    ReplyDelete