Friday, August 17, 2012

Skipping School

Source
Things have sure changed since I was in high school.  And no, I'm not going to write about how I had to walk to school barefoot in the snow.  Uphill.  Both ways.  With barbed wire wrapped around my feet for traction.  What I am going to write about is this new fangled idea known as the "attendance policy" which is a nice way of saying "it's a whole heck of a lot harder to skip school nowadays."  How sad.  Some of my best memories of high school occurred whilst skipping school, or as we call it in Utah - sluffing.

Whether it was riding bikes along the park trail, singing along to John Denver records at my friend's house (that makes me sound older than I actually am),  driving up the canyon to play in the lake, or rollerblading to the nearby church parking lot and making up actions to You're a Grand Old Flag (I know, I'm your regular wild child) sluffing usually meant good times.  Good, good times.

Sorry high schoolers.  Not only do you have a bad economy to look forward to, no social security in your golden years, and an ever increasing moral decay in society, it looks like you won't ever be able to skip gym.  Ever.

5 comments:

  1. So so sad. They can't even hit the One Man Band during Seminary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how have the tightened the new policies? Because nothing says education like doughnuts and a 30 minute shopping trip with your friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my joy in school came from skipping it. We used to go shopping, or go out to lunch, or go to the zoo, or go to someones house and watch movies....whatever we wanted. It wasn't easy to leave our school...we had security guards and gates...but we always managed :) I'm sure this generation will be equally as sneaky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never skipped school. I guess I missed out on all that fun. Somehow the fear of getting caught far outweighed the thought of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being home schooled for my entire school career, I guess
    I skipped a lot. Nowadays though, even with my kindergartner last year, it was bad juju if your kid missed a day for something other than a dr or dentist visit, jeez!

    ReplyDelete