Monday, August 13, 2012

Moving is HELL...you can quote me on this

There. I said it. (And sorry to offend anyone with my language. I come from a long line of swearing women, so don't blame me. Blame my grandma...but she is a saint in every other respect so I'm sure the swearing thing will be overlooked, just sure!)

I've already apologized to the other PST contributors for my lack of a post last Tuesday. I was in the middle of a move and while I had knocked out three weeks worth of posts before I moved, I never did manage to get that fourth one in before I was completely without the internet or cable for quite some time.

When people hear how many times I have moved in my 8 year marriage (9 times), they always say something like:

"Well, I bet you're good at it!"

FALSE

I am not good at it.

Every time I move I (we...it's not always my fault) make several mistakes. So just in case you have the bad fortune to move here are some things I have learned the hard way:



1. YOU HAVE MORE STUFF THAN YOU THINK YOU HAVE. For some reason, my husband and I still think we are newlyweds with nothing. A decade of renting has us believing that we are still 22 without children when it comes to our possessions. We needed about 10 more feet in our moving truck. (Rule of thumb: 3 feet of truck space for every year of marriage)

2. Schedule your cable/internet service two weeks before you move. They are always two weeks from getting you service and living in the dark age (aka 1996) is not fun.

3. When moving across the country and you only own Ikea and hand-me-down furniture, GET RID OF IT! Sell it ALL! I am now on my third set of furniture, and guess what, I don't miss one thing. You'll pay more moving it than it is worth, trust me.

4. Anything under $20 that is a space taker, can be thrown away.

5. Buy at least one more roll of moving tape than you think you need and at least 10 more boxes than you think you need. Again, YOU HAVE MORE STUFF THAN YOU THINK YOU HAVE.

6. Anticipating a move? Save costco boxes (haven't thrown out a diaper box in 3 years).

7. Just keep moving. When you think you can't unpack another box, spend some mind numbing time flattening boxes to save or throw out. It's productive, but you don't have to make any decisions about where it goes or what to do with it.

8. They may not be the most efficiently packed, but Halloween/Christmas/all holiday decorations belong in their own box/bin without anything else in them. (Funny story: My husband once thought that he was going to save us moving space by unpacking my holiday bins and distributing the contents throughout other boxes. I've never been so angry with him. This just inspired me to buy new holiday decor rather than search through a million other bins to find different Christmas ornaments. Can you see the problem here?)

9. I do not condone caffeine but...

10. Find something to entertain: a book on tape, movies, netflix, old Office DVDs that you haven't seen in 5 years (season 2 and 3 are classic). You need background noise.

I could go on because the lessons are endless, but if I had to give you one piece of advice, it would be that YOU ARE JUST FINE WHERE YOU ARE. If the move isn't necessary, don't do it. Trust me on this one.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I thought 8 times in 11 yrs was a lot, but you have me beat! :) Every tip is so very true. I don't know how you unpack anything w/ kids around. I'm always trying to do it during nap time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do condone caffeine while moving (and any other time you're stressed). :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it before and I'll say it again - you are a nicer wife than I am. I would have put my foot down around move 3, maybe 4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're moving pretty soon so I'm grateful for the tips! I'm so sorry you've moved so often though. We moved a ton when I was growing up and it was awful as a kid so I can only imagine what it's like as a parent. Of course, I lived in a school bus for much of my youth. A story for another time. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Generally I'm sloth and don't like to go out very much even don't want to attend the parties so I support your say but as not everyone is like us (you and me ;)) so they have to maintain the courtesy and lots of other and have to move so the suggestion will be beneficial for them. Thanks for the assist.
    moving boxes

    ReplyDelete