Saturday, August 11, 2012

Character Clothing

I thought I'd never do a good amount of things before I had children.  And then of course I had children and I pretty much did every single thing I thought I never would.  That includes letting my child wear character clothing.  Ugh.

My opinion of character clothing has not changed.  They're still the tacky things they were years ago.  Nevertheless my son owns three, yes 3, shirts with Elmo on it.  And as much as I try to only purchase tasteful character clothing, let's face it, nothing with Elmo on it is tasteful.
And guess what my son wears every other day?
His old Buzz Lightyear costume from last Halloween.  He wears it to the store, to his friend's house, to the hospital to see his baby sister for the first time.  He wears it everywhere.  Although I do draw the line at church.  I do have some dignity after all.

And then there's bedding.  What's worse than a Disney character plastered all over your child's comforter?  Possibly nothing.  I did manage to compromise in this realm by purchasing character sheets, which happily can be covered by a bedspread of my choice.

What can I say?  I learned fairly quickly that it's better to see your child smile than it is to see them well dressed.

3 comments:

  1. What's worse is when you see a grown man wear Elmo. Can you spell P-e-d-o-p-h-i-l-e?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I can't stand character clothing! Thankfully my boys are not old enough to care about what they wear. yet. I will do all that I can to keep them away from that tacky fashion. I think I can limit it to pajamas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily D probably got it from her mom, Karen K who got it from her mom...who probably started it cuz I doubt there was character clothing when my grandma was around? I do have to confess, however, I have seen a FEW items of character clothing that I could tolerate. ;)

    ReplyDelete