Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What Does A Stay-At-Home-Mom Do All Day?


As a stay-at-home-mom, I often get the question, “what do you do all day?”  Every time someone asks me this questions I generally come up with some sort of crap about “Oh, I go to the store and blah, blah blah, then to the library and then to the gym or park with the kids….blah, blah, blah.”  Which is sometimes true.  But when it comes down to it, my days don’t always equal fun filled days with the kids at the park and farmers market where my hair is done and I’ve somehow managed to make sweatpants look fashionable (ahem. Heidi Klum.)  So, to give all those askers a better, more precise, rundown of my day, I’ve

1.)   organized the events of the day into areas of the house or community where my day is spent and
2.)   given it a percentage of how much of my time is actually spent there. 

The Bathroom25% This does NOT include the time I spend getting ready in the morning.  This only includes the amount of times I’m helping kids pull their pants down so they don’t pee on themselves and washing hands to prevent the spread of disgustingness.  

The Yard:  10%  This includes pulling weeds, mowing, general maintenance, and playing with the kids outside as well as the time I spend telling my son it is not okay to pee on the front lawn. 

The Gym5%  This includes a workout and getting ready for the day.

Walmart/Target/Lowes/Costco10%  No matter how many times I read over my list I always manage to forget something on it and end up back at one of these stores later that night.  

The Park/Pool/Library/Fun Places10%  We do have fun from time to time.   Mostly when the kids are bugging me and I need to get us all out of the house J 

And the biggest taker of my time…..

The Kitchen40%  Some days I just wish we could all function without food because I am really getting tired of preparing, serving and cleaning it all up.  I can’t even count how many times I’ve wiped off my counter today.  And I know crying over spilled milk is cliché, but when it’s the fifth cup spilled in a day, a good cry is about all I’ve got left to give.  Ironically, it’s about that same time I remember how delicious milk and cookies are and I venture back in there to eat my feelings J  So, as you can see, the kitchen is a well consumed place. 

So, there you go.  I know you thought we played canasta all day.  Sorry to disappoint you.   But this is how it really is.  Now, go home, give your mom a big hug and thank her for all those years she responded lovingly to "mom, come wipe my butt." 

4 comments:

  1. Truer words have never been spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha Jami I couldn't have said it better! Great post~!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo true! Except for me, change that 5% at the gym to 5% breaking up fights :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! i love the come wipe me bit! so true... i just saw a funny cartoon with a mom slumped in a chair saying "why do they have to eat EVERY single day..." and that's how i think we all feel.

    ReplyDelete