Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic Events That May Not Make Your DVR

My favorite Olympic event is the women's gymnastics.  I'm not going to lie, after the 1992 Olympics I sort of dreamed of being discovered by Bela Karolyi.  You know, this guy...
Source
Every chance I got I would make sure I would balance on curbs, logs, whatever in case he was driving by and was inspired to take me under his wing.  No matter that I couldn't even do a decent somersault or that I was 10 years old, which was about 10 years too late to start gymnastics, I was going to be discovered.  This probably goes without saying, but it didn't happen. 

Even with my shattered dreams I still enjoy watching gymnastics, along with swimming, diving, running, etc.

However, there are a few events that I don't bother to watch....

Badminton...Yawn.
Source

Trampoline...Doing flips and spins from the floor?  Awesome.  Off a diving board?  Very impressive.  But even I can do a flip on a trampoline (sort of). 

Source
Table Tennis...I think anyone who has a Wii and a few hours on their hands could get good at table tennis, which means perhaps it shouldn't be an Olympic event.
Source

Shooting...Maybe it's just me, but I always have viewed the Olympics as an event to show off your athleticism.  To be good at shooting you don't have to be athletic.  In fact, you could be 100 pounds overweight, a chain smoker, and eat donuts for every meal and still be good at shooting.
Source
Handball...What the heck is handball?
 
Source

But really, anyone who makes it to the Olympics is awesome.  I'm probably jealous because of my failed attempt.  Dang those somersaults.

No comments:

Post a Comment