Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I'm Running Out of Options

Today, my four-year-old belched (LOUDLY) in the middle of sacrament meeting. And then, after we very sternly told him not to do that ever again, what do ya know, he did it. again. It was completely disgusting and embarrassing. And to top it all off, his two year old brother decided to follow in his brother's footsteps and display his own loud version of a burp. That equals three belches during one very quiet sacrament meeting. I suppose I could use the "Oh, he's only four" bit, but I can't use that forever. I mean what if he cracks one off when he's eighteen in the middle of sacrament meeting. Should I just look up at the bishop and say, "Oh, he's only eighteen"? That just wouldn't work. I've been dealing with their naughtiness for far too long during that hour of church and we just can't seem to come up with a solution to it. We've tried just about everything. Snacks, coloring, puzzles, toys, books, muzzles. (I'm kidding about the muzzles of course. Although it does sound tempting :)). Then we tried limiting those things to only one toy or one snack or one puzzle. I'm running out of ideas here. Please help me!!!

6 comments:

  1. When we misbehaved in church we got taken out and spanked. Hard enough to make it miserable. Then when we got home we had to sit quietly in a chair for every minute we weren't reverent during church. Seeing my mom point to her watch during church was terrifying because we knew she was adding up minutes for our punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to take my kids to the foyer, but they weren't allowed down to play like other kids. I held them down on my lap while the struggled to get away. They soon realized it was better to sit still and quiet in sacrament meeting than to be constrained on mom's lap in the foyer. It was exhausting, I'm not gunna lie, but it did pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to do the foyer route, too, trying to make being out a more unhappy experience than being in. I don't mean physical punishment, I just mean that in the meeting there would be light snacks in the diaper bag or Mom's purse, while out in the foyer they either had to be held while I walked or, just like 2busy, held on my lap until they'd agree to sit quietly. They were almost over the "naughty in church" stage when they'd be begging to stay in Sacrament meeting as I was hauling them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also do the sitting out in a room on a table or in my lap while being held tightly, and have used puzzles, snacks and toys in the past. I recently read this article (http://middle-agedmormonman.blogspot.com/2012/03/thoughts-on-reverence.html )and it changed my perspective on reverence a little. We are going to change things up a little and start using less distractions and try to teach our kids to pay more attention. Also, I think you might need to give yourself a little break. You obviously care enough to try and teach your children and they will learn if you are consistent in your teaching. I've seen kids in primary who at age 4 can't sit still for more than 2 minutes and even though they have parents who don't seem to care much about reverence, they figure it out by age 7 or 8. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha Jami. Glad I can laugh because it's someone else's child. :) One thing we do is the snack only comes after the sacrament. And they have to be reverent during the Sacrament or they don't get the snack. With my first child, that's a big deal not to get a snack. Especially if Little Sister is getting one. A couple times of that happening and he pulls himself in line with a warning about his snack. Because he knows I'll follow through. But maybe your kids would rather do the funny/embarrassing thing than get a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've stopped bringing snacks and toys altogether. They were getting too rowdy playing together. Now they just have to sit quietly and listen. It is torture to them, but they are learning. If they get naughty, they go to the foyer for the sleeper hold on the couch. They hate the sleeper hold :) I think it's magic.

    ReplyDelete