Friday, July 6, 2012

I Want to Ride my Bicycle

Warmer weather means more bikers on the road.
I'm not talking about these kind...

Source
I'm talking about these kind...
And with them comes the ever confusing bike hand signals. 

The other day I found myself behind a biker when he flashed me one of these. 

Source
I had no idea what it meant.  Hey, how you doing?  I'm turning right?  I'm turning left?  Pass me because I'm slower than you?  No idea.  Then he proceeded to hold up two fingers.  Now I was even more confused.  Peace?  There are two more in my party?  And then he held up one finger, and then he turned right.  So basically what he was trying to say is "I'm turning right in two seconds."  It was considerate but let's be real - no one knows hand bike signals so it's really helping no one. 

Why can't they just point the way they're going to turn?  Or better yet, wait until there are no cars behind them so we don't mistake a "I'm going to turn in front of you in about two seconds" for a "go ahead and pass me."  Or better-er yet, get off their bikes and walk across the street when it's safe like my mom used to make me do when I was nine.

6 comments:

  1. Boys learn these signals during bike safety in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I will try my best not to get riled up, but we are a cycling family and so I will say this: Biking is better for you, for the environment and for traffic. The more respect drivers give to cyclists the safer everyone will be. That cyclist was doing what is required of him by law. Read up and know the laws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One time the turn signals on my old beater of a car died and my older sister made me do hand signals out the window. I've never felt so lame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to take the written drivers test for Utah last week and there was a question on biking hand signals. Thank goodness for an open book test! :) Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man Kase, I just about blew snot out of my nose. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete