Monday, July 16, 2012

Food Finds

I found some old friends this week.

They are beautiful and years ago I thought we grow so close, and yet we haven't, despite my best intentions to visit them often.

I'm speaking of my collection of cookbooks. They still look fabulous (if you have a thing for pictures of food) and my mouth waters flipping through their pages, but the honest truth is that I haven't made a single recipe from them.


I think cookbooks are dead my friends.
(Apart from the ward and family cookbooks of course).

They have no comments, stars rating their goodness, or suggestions for ingredient substitutions.When I have chicken, water chestnuts, and cottage cheese in the fridge, cookbooks never provide instant results with what I should make for dinner.

What have they done for you lately?

I've been seeing other sources.

One of which is this lovely blog. Healthy, beautiful, delicious food with ingredients I actually have in my home. I  have NEVER made something from this site that didn't make it onto my "keeper" list. Seriously. The meals have all even been husband approved (like this one, this one, and this one) which is a big accomplishment around these parts. I recommend it to all my patients, friends, family, and random strangers on the internet frequently (like so).

I've tried allrecipes.com, but 9 times out of 10 I'm disappointed--even after I read and apply suggestions from all 209 commenters.

Where do you go to find your family favorites?

3 comments:

  1. Agreed! Skinnytaste is my go to every single night. That cajun pasta, to die for. And I'm so glad she got me hooked on Dreamfields. Yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I've heard of websites where you can type in ingredients you have in your home and up pops some ideas of what to cook. Where do I find such a site? Recommendations on that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously had the thought, "why am I keeping these?" as I packed up all my lovely cookbooks this week. I am going to have to try this blog out! Lately, I've loved the epicurious app on my phone. I type in an ingredient I have (like Salmon) and up pops at least two hundred recipes from the gourmet magazine with reviews and ratings.

    ReplyDelete