Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Conspiracy Theories

I have a budding theory that Netflix documentaries are shaping a lot of public opinion these days.


Think about it--how many people do you know who have Netflix? Or better yet, do not have Netflix? We are all consumers and we all know how plentiful the instant play selection is. It doesn't take long to get to the bottom of the bucket and pretty soon you find yourself venturing into the land of documentaries.

The thing is, who is more passionate and willing to give away their films for cheap than documentary makers on a crusade? Biased much?

I can't tell you how many people I meet with who tell me they aren't eating X,Y, and Z or that they're doing this and that with their diet because they saw a documentary on Netflix. It's not just food issues--I've seen it with vaccines, biblical mysteries, and migratory patterns of birds...okay, maybe not with birds.

Don't get me wrong, I love me a good conspiracy theory. I'm reminded of something my mom always used to say; "in every pound of sarcasm there is an ounce of truth." Maybe that could be adjusted to replace "sarcasm" with "conspiracy theories. "

But, then again, I'm also reminded that she told me "don't believe everything you see on T.V."

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you here. I don't like documentaries that have an angle. They make the other side look so sinister. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

    ReplyDelete