Thursday, June 7, 2012

Warning - Serious Post Alert

Today, I got a healthy reminder to be grateful and I had to share it.

I met two new girls. One aged 11 and the other aged 9. It was their first day at a new school, the school where I teach. They’ve just moved to Australia from Sudan. And by moved, I mean they’ve come here as refugees.
Their move wasn’t by choice. These girls lost both of their parents recently when they were killed in war crimes. They have no living family, know very little English and had never attended school before today. In fact, they’re lucky to be alive having lived their whole lives surrounded by war.

I was teaching a literacy support program today and the elder of the two girls came. She had never used a computer before and spent a good fifteen minutes figuring out how to use a mouse. She found headphones frightening because they ‘sent sound into her head’. They were far too weird and scary at this point in her life. She was shy and easily startled.
Puts life into perspective, doesn’t it?

Sometimes I get pretty self involved, worry about paying a mortgage, work, callings, children, cars, new clothes, and toys. Today, I’m grateful I have these concerns to make my life wonderful. I'm grateful for the reminder to be grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting that! I need reminders too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a big wake up call for so many of us. That's such a blessing you are able to know their story too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the perspective. I am so blessed and need to be far more grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete