Friday, June 22, 2012

Thankless Job

Have you ever taken a technical writing class? I have. For me the class opened my eyes to a whole new world of jobs I would never like to have. For the final class project we had to write an instruction manual and let me tell you--it was a page turner (but only if you're trying to assemble a cabinet and your husband isn't home).

Have you ever thought of those poor souls who dedicate their lives to detailing instructions or disclaimers on packaging? Their greatest writings will never be adapted for the big screen, nor will the ever will the Pulitzer. Where is their reward?


I'll tell you.

It has GOT to be in writing caution statements.

I recently purchased a package of Huggies Little Swimmers diapers, and because I feel bad for technical writers, I read the package (or maybe I was just a tiny bit bored and stranded).



This is what is says:

Choking may result for anything children put into their mouths.

Like most clothing, pants can burn. 

Do not expect swim pants to prevent the transmission of diseases.

Really? How do they write this stuff with a straight face?

2 comments:

  1. I am going to go read my package of swim diapers now! That is pretty ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to write a common sense manual and include all of those warnings.

    ReplyDelete