Saturday, June 30, 2012

My White Collar Redneck Husband

If you were to meet my husband you might think he's a regular city slicker. Although I think the fact that I just used the term city slicker shows right off that neither of us are city slickers because I'm sure a real city slicker never refers to his self as such. Anyway, back to the husband. He works as an accountant, 6 days of the week he's in a long sleeve button up dress shirt, he spikes his hair up, and he uses gel. See what I mean? City slicker.

However, most Saturday morning you can find him riding horses or building fences, sometimes at 3 a.m. he's outside irrigating the pasture, his 4th love (after me and the children) is his pickup truck, his ideal weekend includes camping, he owns more camouflage clothes than I care to mention, and he (okay, we) use a Cabela's credit card.

Which is why it came as no surprise that when we brought our firstborn home from the hospital the first thing my husband did was take the baby out to the field to introduce him to the horses. Sweet right?

That isn't to say my husband is always good with kids. Some things he did were downright perplexing (and sometimes aggravating). Like the time he picked up my 8 month old nephew who was sitting on the floor and asked me if he needed to support his neck. Or the time when I asked him to stay up with our 3-week old baby until 1:00 a.m. so I could get some much needed sleep and he brought him in at 11:30 p.m. because he was "so tired." Never mind that I was nursing the baby and had gotten up with him every 3 hours for the past 3 weeks. Or when he was in charge of watching our 9 month old son all day and when I walked in the house at 4:00 p.m. they were both sitting on the couch, staring at the T.V. and were still in their pajamas.  Or when he took my son camping two weeks ago, let him stay up until 1:00 a.m., and then wondered why he was whiny the next day.

But more often than not he's the fun dad taking them out for ice cream, letting them run around and get dirty, planning family vacations, taking them out to feed the horses, going for rides on the bike, etc.

So while I agree with basically the whole world that babies are miracles I think a bigger miracle may be that boys who know nothing about babies and have seemingly no innate nurturing traits turn out to be such great dads.

No comments:

Post a Comment