Monday, June 18, 2012

!@^*!#

I came upon a semi-sad realization the other day: I missed the boat on swearing.  I've never really sworn before* and as I'm approaching my 30's I think it will be just plain awkward if I started today.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to become a regular Foul Mouth Francis or anything, but I think a cuss word can be quite effective thrown in here or there to make a point or to add humor to something. 

Yes, my age is certainly the dilemma.  If I picked up the bad/funny habit now people who have known me forever would probably be like, "What, Kasey! When did you start swearing?"  And I'd be like, "Oh, two and a half weeks ago."  And they'd most likely say, "You should probably know better since you're a mom and almost middle aged." And I'd probably hang my head in shame.  Even if a stranger heard me swear they'd probably say, "That's very unnatural for you, you should think about quitting,"  And I'd probably say, "Well, it's only my 5th time so maybe I'll warm up to it."  And they'd say, "Probably not." And then I'd feel dumb.

Moral of the story.  If you want to cuss start in high school.

*Except one time when I was driving alone down a dangerous canyon in the snow and then the "s word" may or may not have slipped out.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes even if you don't cuss, those foul words just pop out. Like when I broke my ankle. Must be that Teurett's Syndrome. Flipin'
    Fetch! I don't even know how to spell it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you started in high school, it might not have worked out. Any time I ever tried to swear in those appropriate times of humor or frustration, people laughed at me and told me that it was just awkward to hear a swear word come out of my mouth. So, I guess it's just not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this post about five times now and I laugh out loud every time. And yeah, I've never heard Emily D swear and I would probably die laughing if I did...

    ReplyDelete