Friday, June 1, 2012

Baker's Delight

I’m not much of a baker. I don’t really enjoy it, and I don't have that knack for it. But I do it out of necessity and in the very occasional attempt to please my husband. He loves chocolate chip cookies.

Because I must have done something wrong in a past life, my child is an incredibly light sleeper. It’s a curse, I tell you. So I try to avoid all recipes that say ‘cream butter and sugar’ for fear of waking up the child. Do you know how hard it is to find a good chocolate chip cookie recipe that doesn't require the creaming of butter and sugar? Apparently it is the key to a good batch of cookie-roos. It was quite the quest, but in the end google came through and made my life a happier place.
What this happy mama discovered is that you can get virtually the same results by heating the butter and sugar on the stove instead of creaming. Maybe everyone knows about this, I don’t know. But I sure didn't and to say I was thrilled is an understatement. I was christmas day type excited. A noiseless solution = Genius.

So today I made noiseless gooey, delicious, chocolate chip cookies. A veritable baker’s delight.

3 comments:

  1. I love to bake! Actually, I just love to eat baked goods, so I bake a lot. However, chocolate chip cookies are the one thing that I can NOT make. I make the worst ones ever and I think I have tried every recipe. So, just to prove to myself that I still can't do it, maybe I should try your recipe :) Feel free to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to get off your baby weight and baking don't go hand in hand I'm learning so for the time being I'm on hiatus from my 3 pm baking habit!! It's killing me though. Awesome tip! Never really thought of it. Do you have to heat them to boiling? I wouldn't think so, but at what point are they heated through enough? And yes, once again, what did we do before the Internet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking is about the only thing I actually like to cook. But then I like to eat it, too, and that's bad.

    ReplyDelete