Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Babies Are Boring

My husband could possibly be one of the smartest people I know.  He knows more random facts than I knew possible.  He loves to read and research and he is always up to date on current affairs.  For the most part of our marriage he has been in school.  He will spend days on one subject until he feels like he is an expert.  He loves to sit down with me and explain some foreign concept that I would never in a million years be interested in understand.  I love his brain. 

My husband also loves kids.  He really wanted to start having kids right away.  We are talking a honeymoon baby.  I was not on board.  So, when I got pregnant with our first baby, he was over the moon.  I was scared because I didn't know anything about babies.  I read book after book researching everything about pregnancy, labor and newborns.  I figured my husband would do the same since he loves to research and learn.  I gave him a few books to read and he said, "You already read these.  Can't you just summarize them for me?"  I couldn't believe it.  He thought he was already an expert.

I only had a few weeks left of my pregnancy when my husband said, "I can't wait until he gets here!  I already have some hikes planned and maybe a camping trip!  He is going to be so much fun!"  My reply was, "You realize I'm not giving birth to an 8 year old, right?  He is going to be tiny this summer.  He won't even be able to hold his head up, let alone go hiking."  My husband was devastated.  He had such high hopes for the summer.

When we brought the baby home from the hospital my husband just sat and stared at him.  He finally said, "Is this all he does? Sleep and eat? Babies are really boring."  Later on that day I was looking through the camera and found this picture...



I asked what he had been doing and he said, "I was just trying to make him a little more interesting by helping him make funny faces."

He is right.  Babies are boring.  However, he would have known that if he would have used that beautiful brain to read the books I gave him. 

2 comments:

  1. My husband feels the exact same way! "Babies are only fun for the mom until they can wrestle. That's when they become fun for dads.". My husband actually said that. True story. Love this post! It's comforting to know I'm not
    Alone. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine giving birth to an eight-year-old? Ouch. ha!

    ReplyDelete