Monday, May 7, 2012

The Tree of Life

source

I am taking a lot of risks when I post the following story, but I just can't help it.  This story has to be shared.  Luckily for me I am really bad at making friends and I don't really know anyone in my ward, so hopefully I can tell this story without getting caught.

About  a month ago, I walked into Sunday School and sat down for the lesson.  This sweet little old lady got up to teach.  To open her lesson she started talking about her daughter (or granddaughter, I can't remember) who had just given birth.  Now, I don't know about you, but birthing stories always grab my attention.  Well, this was not a birthing story.  It was an afterbirth story....or a placenta story, if you will.  She proceeded to tell about how people are getting into the trend of ingesting their placentas.  Apparently doing so will help with postpartum depression, milk supply, and increase energy.  I'm not here to judge on this.  It is your placenta, do what you want with it.  However, when she started talking about this, you could see all of the men in the room start to slink down in their seats and stare at the ground.  Placenta talk doesn't usually bother the women, but the men were about to die.  Anyway, she talked about how her daughter's placenta was cut in half to be prepared for encapsulation

Then she drew a picture of it.

And it ended up looking like a tree.

She said that the placenta reminded her of the Tree of Life and the 3 umbilical arteries going into the placenta could symbolize the Godhead.

This is when I realized that you can liken the scriptures to just about anything.....even a placenta. 



3 comments:

  1. Oh man, you always have the best stories! I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good "likening" story, but I think I just threw up in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just disgusting. How could anyone really think that was appropriate church lesson material! Can she be fired? I think she should be fired (I know she can't be - but there is a sister who needs to be released. Actually, maybe that is what she was really going for ;)

    ReplyDelete