Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Stupid Surveys


I came across this little gem of information whilst exercising today.  
(actual picture from an actual magazine)

That’s right, folks.  Someone actually spend time and resources to get the answer to this incredibly lame question.  Would you rather be the cool mom or the hot mom?   I mean, sure, I can be a little bit superficial and shallow at times but to concern myself with being a hot or cool mom is a new low, even for me.  Is this really something women think about?  Trying to be viewed by their children and/or children’s friends as ‘hot’ or ‘cool’?  I personally want to be viewed as the parent who loves her children, who sets boundries, who encourages them to be kind (even though I sometimes am not), and supports them in their desire to be the chess club president if they want.  To be viewed as ‘cool’ or ‘hot’ is fine, but to earnestly seek those things out in an effort to be defined as such, probably not so much.  As a parent, there must be more pressing issues to face.

But it seems that women get caught up in being the cool mom from time to time.  Several years ago I overheard a mother talking to her pre-teen daughter in the eyeglass store.  Their conversation went a little something like this:

Mom:  Well, what about these?  Are these okay?  You know...I wanna be the cool mom.
Daughter:  Oh yeah, mom.  Those are cool.  They will totally work.

I am not even making this up.  She was actually concerned about having the right eyeglasses in order to look cool to her daughter's friends.  I was flabbergasted.  What was she teaching her preteen daughter in this situation?  That the most important thing is the way you are viewed by others? 

I don’t know what else to say, except, if this is what is being taught in homes across America, then I am limiting my childrens’ friendships to dogs and superheros.    

3 comments:

  1. Dogs bite. You might want to just limit their friendships to superheros.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what's not cool?...eyeglasses. J/k. I'm totally with you on this one, and I'm pretty sure I'm not hot or cool, so there you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what happens if you become cool without trying? Haha. Won't ever be me. I'm too uptight to be a cool mom. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete