Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shape Up People!

Oh gosh. When will we ever learn that there is NO magic pill, piece of equipment, clothing, single food source, or shoe that will get you a rockin' bod?

I remember 2009-2010 like it was yesterday. I remember the first time I saw a pair of these weird-looking shoes:


I remember the model that they used to peddle these things. She was perky; she looked healthy and fit and had a nice toned back side. And she wasn't even on a piece of gym equipment!! She was just running regular errands. "Who doesn't want that?" I thought.

But then, I thought again.

Last time I checked, standing on a balance ball all day isn't proven to take off the pounds. And when I think about walking around on two balance balls all day long, the two words that come to mind are BACK and ACHE.

These are the mental checks that I assumed most people made in regards to these shoes. Then one day at Costco I saw a flock of women surrounding a display of shape-ups scouring the racks looking for their size. And they weren't the only ones. Turns out that Skechers made 1 billion dollars selling shoes like this. Of course, like most fitness fads go, it didn't last, and to be honest it's been awhile since I've seen anyone wearing these things.

BUT then on the radio today, I heard about a lawsuit against Skechers where they've been ordered to give $40 million dollars to consumers who bought Shape-Ups, a refund for false advertising. You'd think that you'd need a receipt or a box or something in order to show that you purchased Shape-Ups and then didn't really "shape up", but no! All you have to do is go to www.skecherssettlement.com, fill out a form and you can get your money back.

Really? Why can't people just admit that they didn't really think about diet or real exercise and just learn from the $50 to $100 they just wasted? It's never their fault. (Oh my goodness! That sounded just like my dad!)

And can we just talk a minute about the fashion faux-pas of these? I have a brand of running shoe that I will never leave because the shoes have been so good to me over the years, but they are NOT the most fashionable running shoe on the market, so I'm not vain about my exercise shoes at all, but COME ON! What's even worse is now, the shape-up trend is trying out sandals:

Stop, Lindsay! Don't show us more! Why! WHY!

Well, I'm sorry. They are also trying out work appropriate shoes:



And boots:

My inner Stacy and Clinton are going nuts right now!! I think these are the shoes that should be called UGGS. Either that or FRAUDS.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the ridiculous Nutella lawsuit right now. When will people learn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Glad I didn't jump on that bandwagon. Not only are those shoes ridiculously ugly, they are the equivalent to the "thighmaster" for feet. Remember that thing? A TOTAL fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. People need to accept responsibility for their own naivety.

    ReplyDelete