Thursday, May 17, 2012

Interjections (Hey!) Show Excitement (Yow!) or Emotion (Ouch!)

As a junior in high school I found myself in an honors English class with possibly the best teacher I have ever had.  She wasn't the best teacher because I could skip her class 16 times and still get an A (although I did like that class, too).  She wasn't the best teacher because she joked around with her students and brought us treats (teachers like that give me the heebie jeebies).  No, she was the best teacher because she taught well and had high expectations.  Like really, really high. 

SIDE NOTE: Please don't judge any of my grammatical errors based on my teacher.  Remember I ended up going into social work, not English.

Anyway, it's great to have a teacher that expects you to know your stuff, except when she's the first one who ever really has.  Then you just find yourself in a whole lot of trouble. 

Which is why my red-headed friend and I found ourselves at the local movie rental store the night before our big "parts of speech" test.  If it was any other class then we may have been looking for the latest blockbuster hit to pass the night away, knowing that even if we bombed the test there would be a way for us to still get a good grade by the time report cards came out.  But remember, this class was different.  So, what were we looking for, you ask?  This...

Source
Yes, the same School House Rock that you usually watch as an elementary student, except remember, we were 16 years old.  We were a little shaky on the differences between pronouns, nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, interjections, prepositions, and conjunctions so we "crammed" for our test by eating popcorn and watching the tape (yes, I'm old and it was a VHS) a few times.  It paid off, we aced the class.  And so what if we were humming "conjunction junction what's your function" during the exam?  It's normal.

1 comment:

  1. ...hooking up words and phrases and clauses! Know the very teacher and yes, she was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete