Monday, May 21, 2012

Helicopter Mom


When I had my first baby, my dad nicknamed me "Paranoid Polly".  Maybe I was a tad protective of my precious little darling.  Maybe I checked on him while he slept every 14 minutes.  Maybe I took him to the doctor with a spreadsheet of questions.  Maybe I cut up his grapes until he was 3.   I'm sure I looked like a crazy person to most people.  I have since relaxed (a little) and stopped hovering (for the most part).

Recently, it has come to my attention, that maybe I am still a little paranoid.  A friend of mine lives near a grocery store.  She was chatting with her friend one day and the friend said, "Isn't it great that the grocery store is across the street?  My husband and I put the kids to bed, lock the doors, and go grocery shopping alone.  It's like our own little date night!"

WHAT?!?!?  After I stopped freaking out, I asked her how old the kids were.  Four and two. Those are about the ages of my kids.  I know my 4 year old can unlock our doors.  I also know that if he woke up for some reason and we were gone, he would panic.  As I chatted with some other moms about this, a lot of them revealed that they do the SAME THING!  Don't they know that they could get their kids taken away from them with a quick call to CPS by the neighbors?

Maybe they think it is safe to leave small children home alone since we live in Utah.  Hello?  There are still kidnappers in Utah.  Anyone ever heard of Elizabeth Smart?!?

Am I overreacting and ultra-paranoid, or does this just seem like a really bad idea?

7 comments:

  1. It's a really bad idea...Not necessarily about the kidnappers, but what the children can wake up and get into or wander off to...

    I knew a lady once who used to "dose" her kids with sleepy cold medicine so she could leave the house and do stuff. Say, what????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just crazy. I would leave my kids home alone if they were 14 and 12 but NOT 4 and 2 - that's just asking for trouble if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is a little nuts, but I've put the kids to bed and then spent a few hours doing yard work outside with my husband and felt totally fine about it! I also leave my kids in the car while I go get my Kindergartener at the front of her school, so yeah, sort of guilty here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's crazy. My SIL knew some people who would put their kids to bed, turn on the baby monitor, and go to dinner. Um, do they not realize there is a limited RANGE on those things?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm with Lindsay on this one. I would be perfectly fine doing yard work outside while my kids slept (still checking on them periodically) but going across the street to the store? That's a little too dangerous for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with that, too. I feel like if you are in your own yard, that counts as being home :) Otherwise, I guess I leave my kids home alone all the time! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a girlfriend that leaves her baby (6 months) in her crib while she goes and picks up her other kids from school. "it's only six minutes round trip." but what if you get in a car accident??? I understand the need for naps and am also a nap nazi, but that's too much for me!

    ReplyDelete