Saturday, May 5, 2012

Feeding the Baby Like a Bird


Story goes that I went to a Relief Society activity the other day where a pediatric nurse came to share her knowledge of child development and safety, etc. It was a good activity with good information that made my "mother guilt" go from about a 10 to about 100. 

After the presentation a few of us moms were gathered around visiting when one mom pipes up and says something to the effect of:

"Yeah, a girl I know premasticates her baby's food. She says that there's a lot of evidence that it's good for your baby."

SAY WHAT?!

In other words, she chews her baby's food immediately before giving it to her baby.

As we stood there talking, I was amazed that I was the only shocked one in the group. Where have I been? Is this common? Do people often use their mouths as a Cuisinart?

So I did a little research. Turns out that about a month ago Alicia Silverstone (who really hasn't been in anything worth mentioning except Clueless), posted a video of herself feeding her baby (whose name is Bear Blu [another post for another day]) just like a mother bird. She chews the food then they go mouth to mouth. Again, where have I been?

I'm trying really hard to not be judgmental, and yeah, if you live in rural Africa, then I get it.

But ewwww. I mean EWWWWWW.

The logic that studies are using is that it builds baby's immunity to share saliva and bacteria with it's mother. In that case, I'm going to start coughing on my child whenever I feel a cold coming on. A few sneezes ought to do the trick too.

Please tell me that I'm not the crazy one here!!

2 comments:

  1. Besides sharing a name with you, sometimes I feel like we share the same brain. I had this on my list of things to post about! It is super weird. I don't think you should feel judgmental. It is gross and these kids are going to grow up and say, "You did WHAT when I was a baby?!?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that segment on Alicia and I thought it was gross! I'm about as normal as they come, so rest assured that means you're normal too. Also Alicia Silverstone acted in the movie Blast From the Past, which is worth mentioning because it's an awesome movie (as I recall).

    ReplyDelete