Monday, May 28, 2012

Choose Your Era

Does anyone else think that they may have been born in the wrong era? I think it would have been really fun to live in some different times and different places. 

I would have loved to live during Jane Austen's time.  Every time I read an Austen novel I think I would have fit well during that time.  I love the way everyone spoke so politely.  I love the idea of going to London for all of the balls and to the country for the summer.  I get a little bored living in the same place all year long.....with no balls or reasons to dress up fancy.  


I also love the idea of the Reconstruction Era after the civil war.  Business was booming everywhere, the country was putting itself back together, bathing became more encouraged, women began to have careers (crappy careers, but careers)...and the clothes!  Oh my, I love the skinny waists and bustles.  Those corsets could really do some good for me. 


The last era I wish I could try out was 1900-1910.  It would have been so exciting to see all of the new inventions.  The car was becoming more popular, the Victrola, the first movies....it just seems like it would have been really fun.  

Alas, I didn't make it to any of these eras.  I'm just a product of the early 80's.  Even though I am a little sad about this, there are a few modern conveniences I am really grateful for.

1. Tampons.  I think I mentioned this before, but I am really glad these were invented.
2. Hot showers.  Even though I usually have a child screaming on the other side of the door, at least I have warm, running water.
3. Disposable diapers
4. Sweat pants.  I'm pretty sure corsets were worn all day. 
5. Advil
6. Target
7. Taco Bell
8. Cell phones
9. Wikipedia

What era would you have picked if you had the choice?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite books are historical fiction. I love being swept away into the past while reading on my KINDLE. Love the present, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was contemplating writing a post just like this. My era of choice - 1950's.

    ReplyDelete