Thursday, May 10, 2012

Advice

There's some advice that has been quoted so often that I think we don't really stop to think about what's being said. 

For instance...

"Live each day as if it were your last."  Let's be honest, if I knew that today was going to be my last day on earth I would not waste my time cleaning the house or making meals (fast food would be a more convenient option).  I would probably sit on my couch, hold my kids, and cry all day.  So living a month of this advice would probably result in a disgusting house, obese family members, and emotionally scarred children.

"Work like you don't need the money." I, nor probably about 87% of Americans, would work if we didn't need to.  Call it laziness, but that's the cold hard facts.  I think a more appropriate phrase would be "Work like you don't want to live under an overpass."  Of course, that wouldn't look as cute as a vinyl sign on the mantle.

"Dance like no one's watching." Ugh.  Every time I hear this quote I die a little inside.  It's cheesy.  I dance rarely as it is, but if no one ever, ever watched me dance then I would probably stick to my favorite dance move.  Which is the sprinkler.  But guess what dance move I do even if people are watching?  The sprinkler.  Verdict: this quote means nothing to me.

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."  I've stated this in a previous post but the only time I lost my breath is when I fell out of a tree.  And I say my life is not measured by my tree falling incident the summer of 1998.

"Whatever you are be a good one." I actually like this quote, but what if what you were, like, a murderer or something?  You've got to be careful with this one.

So my advice to you?  Think before you vinyl.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Kase! I am now seriously considering putting "work like you don't want to live under an overpass" in vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally dislike all the "keep calm and ....... " signs.

    They are everywhere.
    Why?

    ReplyDelete