Saturday, April 21, 2012

To Do Your Hair Or Not To Do Your Hair


If you're like me, you don't have the face or head shape or guts to pull off a pixie hair cut (ie boy short, but feminine). I would LOVE the maintenance of a pixie hair cut.

If you're also like me, you can't really stylishly pull off a pony tail or a messy bun. I am so jealous of those girls who pull their hair back messily and don't wear makeup and look like they just jumped off the pages of the J.Crew catalog.

This doesn't stop me from trying to do this alleged "quick yet stylish pull back" of my hair.

So it was about a week ago, while doing my try at a quick pull back not once or twice but three times over again, that a strange thought came to me:

I DON'T THINK I'VE SAVED MYSELF ANY TIME AT ALL

That set a weird (VERY weird) experiment in motion. I decided that I was going to track the hairdo I did each day for a week, the amount of time it took me to do it, and my level of satisfaction with said hair-style for the rest of the day.

Here's the results:

Day 1:
Regular round brush blow dry
Time:18:47
Level of hair satisfaction throughout the day: 8

Day 2:
Fast blow dry with curls
Time: 17:30
Level of hair satisfaction throughout the day: 7

Day 3:
Non-shower pull back of dirty hair (don't ask...)
Time: 5 seconds
Level of hair satisfaction throughout the day: -10

Day 4:
Regular round brush blow dry
Time: 19:00
Level of hair satisfaction throughout the day:8

Day 5:
Quick pull back into a bun
Time: 13:00
Level of hair satisfaction: 2

Day 6:
Fast blow dry with curls
Time: 16:25
Level of hair satisfaction: 8

Day 7:
Quick pull back into a bun
Time: 10:46
Level of hair satisfaction: 2

Alright now, what is it that these results tell me? First of all, I have too much time on my hands. But just looking at the results, I am convinced that unless it's one of those days when hair isn't happening at all, is it worth it to actually really try to do my hair? The results tell me that the answer is a resounding yes. Is it worth 6 minutes (the average difference between really doing my hair and doing a pull back) to feel good about my appearance? To me, it is. Let's face it, as a mom the old confidence suffers in the appearance department at times. And if 6 minutes can give me an extra boost, I'll take it.

Good bye pony tail. I'd say we had a good run, but let's not kid ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I hate doing my hair. And mine is even short and fairly quick! But it's true, I always feel better during the day when I've pulled myself together enough to turn on the blow dryer. Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another one of the many "bonuses" to being a girl. Sarcasm intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been going through this same dilemma. My son stole all my curl while I was pregnant with him so now my hair is just wavy/frizzy/awful (but he has ADORABLE curls, so who cares?). I have started straightening my hair all the time and while it takes longer, it really is much more manageable and I hate it less. So yeah - totally with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete