Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Shake It Like a Polaroid Picture

I so rarely post about the one subject that consumes most of my life--food. Well, food and health really. Before you roll over and die with boredom or disinterest consider my little gem of wisdom for the day:

You should probably salt your food.

People are always shocked to hear it, but it's true.

Unless you have high blood pressure and you are sensitive to salt (which you find out by avoiding salt and watching to see if your blood pressure decreases), there really is no good reason to avoid it.

Most of the salt we eat in a day doesn't come from the shaker anyway (it's hiding in packaged foods).

AND, it turns out that as people have been avoiding the salt shaker or switching over to non-iodized sea salt there has been a reemergence of goiters in the U.S. Try to Google image that and keep your lunch down.

My official prescription to you is to use at least 1/4 teaspoon of table salt every day. Your husband and neck-nuzzling babies will thank me.


6 comments:

  1. I don't salt my food. Mostly because I don't like it. Ever gotten a mouthful of salty ocean water? Yeah, when I salt food that's what I taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather you tell me that it's OK to add sugar to my cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just make sure that salt in your shaker is iodized! I realized my last bottle of salt was not... I was certain I would end up with a goiter! Okay not really, but anyway, it's the iodine that is important. Not the salt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These is possibly the most random, and helpful, post I've read on this site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good to know! I switched to sea salt forever ago so I might have to switch back =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you tell me where you got the rights to use this image? I'd like to use it as well but can't seem to find it on istockphoto or getty

    ReplyDelete