Monday, April 23, 2012

Ode to Sisters


(my actual sisters)
When I was a little girl, my sisters were my heroes.  I’m not exactly certain why because they mostly just locked me out of their rooms and told me I was too young to hang out with them.  But, I remember following them around, imitating them, and wishing I could grow a little faster so that I could fit into their hand-me-downs.  They taught me many things; like when it was time to give up on stirrup pants, and all of the words to Oingo Boingo’s Dead Man’s Party.  As I got older, they taught me how to do my make-up, they helped me get ready for prom, and they laughed with me over bad dates. 

Now that we are adults, my sisters are still my heroes.  When we are all together, we can talk for 5 days straight without even taking a breath.  They still teach me things, but now it is less about make-up and more about child rearing and how to not burn chicken.  I haven't always appreciated my sisters, but now that we all live far apart, I miss them every minute. 

Here are some things I love about sisters.

1.  They are built-in friends
2.  They can make fun of you, but you know they still love you
3.  You always have someone to shop with that will give you an honest opinion about how big your butt actually looks.
4.  You trust them to love your kids
5.  They always share their clothes, jewelry, and shoes
6.  You get extra sisters when your brothers get married, and when you get married
7.  They keep your secrets
8.  They call you just to tell you something funny
9.  If you can't do/make/cook something, chances are, your sister can
10.  They help you fix your stupid mistakes or bad decisions
11.  They are always up for a pedicure and greasy food
12.  Just in case, you have a back-up kidney

What do you love about your sisters?

6 comments:

  1. See, this is why I want our next one to be a girl. My closest sister was 14 years older than me, we barely even over lapped in the same house in years I can remember. I want Mya to have everything in your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sisters!! It's one reason I'm so thankful I have three girls in a row. My sisters will always talk to their lonely sister across the country no matter how busy they are. I love love love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing about not having sisters is that I get my mom all to myself. Boo-ya. Plus no fighting over clothes or makeup or whatever else it is that sisters fight about. But I must say I do love my sisters-in-law. They are gems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous of your sister supply. No joke, there. Maybe that is why we are pen pals. (Cuz I need a sister).

    Oh my heck, I saw a woman wearing stirrup pants just Saturday! So either they are leftovers from a time long ago or that particular clothing style is resurfacing. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sisters are the best! They are instant best friends! I couldn't agree more with what you said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss you too!! I could go for a pedicure and greasy food right now!!! I love you :)

    ReplyDelete