Saturday, April 14, 2012

And Suddenly My Husband Was Watching a Period Piece

I don't know if I've mentioned it (once, twice, okay three times), but I love ANYTHING British. I know I came to earth at the time and to the place that I was supposed to come to earth, but man, there are times when I just know that I was meant to be British in the early or late 19th century!!

No surprise... my husband doesn't feel the same way. He's a good dad to daughters (the best really) and read Pride and Prejudice after the birth of our second daughter so that he could relate to them in later years. They were then 2 1/2 and 3 months old, respectively. I wouldn't say that he hated it. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being ANY Nicholas Sparks movie and 10 being the Jazz making it to the NBA finals), I'd say he gave it about a 5.

So when HE suggested we start watching Masterpiece Theater's Downton Abbey on Netflix, imagine my surprise! AND JOY!


And now, we're hooked.

I'd say that it's a bit like a soap opera, but what housewife (and husband) doesn't have a soap opera? So I'm going to go ahead and suggest it to you all. You're welcome.

6 comments:

  1. Ooooo! I love Downton Abbey! I haven't seen the 2nd season yet, but loved the first. Sadly, I watched it alone. My husband has endured too many Jane Austen movies lately to join in on this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Downton! My husband volunteered to watch an episode with me and he's been hooked ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we are hooked. We even rationalized the purchase of the second season. There was one moment when Jefferson said, "think this may be getting a little too much for me" on the drama front, but he pushed through it. The drama is what makes TV hello! Make no mistake, I don't watch the bachelor for true love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great thing about this one too. And, as an additional note, I too sometimes think I belonged in the the Pride and Prejudice era. Mostly so I could walk anywhere, anytime for just about everything. I love walking. Or, as Miss Elizabeth would say, "I'm rather fond of walking."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky!!! I wish Nate were that fun. I am obsessed with Downton- seriously going through withdrawals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got into this last week and quickly watched the first season and now I am waiting for the second season to become available from the library. I couldnt find the second season on netflix! It is so good...although I dont think my husband would get into it with me darnit!

    ReplyDelete