Saturday, March 24, 2012

Trying To Be A Normal Mormon

We all remember what happened the last time my neighbors invited us over for a party.

Last time it was Oktoberfest.

This time it was St. Patrick's Day.

I'm starting to detect a common "theme" among the holidays that my neighbors choose to celebrate.

Nonetheless after last time's disaster, I felt like I needed to redeem myself a bit. That's the thing about being a Mormon among many people who are not Mormon.

You want to appear friendly, but not cheesy.
Clean, but not stuffy.
Modest, but stylish.
Casual, but appropriate.

All in all you just want to seem NORMAL and not weird. After all, I want to break any stereotypes that people may have about Mormons.

As we headed out the door, I surveyed the family to check out how normal we all seemed.

First of all, I took cookies instead of booze. (NOT NORMAL)

My husband was wearing his ward basketball get up and couldn't change because he was playing in a playoff game later that day. (NOT NORMAL)

But the real kicker was the hairdo I chose to give my daughter on this particular day:
An actual photo

This may seem innocent enough, but if we are talking about stereotypes here, this particular "do" reminds me of some others I've seen:
Yes, that is a picture of Warren Jeffs hanging.

Here's my question to you:

Is there something in our common pioneer heritage that makes us particularly good at braiding?

Or just something that makes us think that braiding is still "in"?

At any rate, I realized at this little block party that no matter how hard we try, we are just not normal to the world. But I, for one, am happily not normal.

Just glad I don't have the pressure of this guy on this one:

3 comments:

  1. Funny, but I think with the Hunger Games and the "Katniss Braid" Braiding is going to become quite normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The braid has been getting some good press lately :) You are en pointe with that! It's fun to be a little abnormal, right?

    ReplyDelete