Thursday, March 22, 2012

Edumacation


Although I was a student for what seemed like decades, because it was decades, I find myself missing school every once in a while. I tend to romanticize my education experience thinking it was all butterflies and rainbows. Don't get me wrong - I'm pro school and I'm grateful I was able to attend, but it certainly was a relief when it was all over. However, earlier this week I found myself on the campus of my alma mater to attend a conference and those old feelings surfaced again. Wouldn't it be fun to go to school again? I (foolishly) thought to myself. I would really enjoy getting up early every morning and attending class I reflected while looking for a parking space. Well, after sitting through three hours of lectures reality set back in. It is not "fun." It is not "relaxing." And heck, it's not even a "nice break" from the kids. In fact, when I arrived back home I had to take a 2 hour nap to recover from my exhaustion. And then I remembered: school is hard work.

That isn't to say I have stopped learning. Actually just this week I've learned a few things. Life lessons, if you will:
1) Sometimes there is no reasoning with a three year old.
2) Unless you like doing multiple loads of laundry every day it's better to use a wet wipe to clean off the spit up/pee/other excrement off of your shirt rather than actually change into something clean.
3) It is not a good idea to watch murder shows when you're home alone. Even if it is the middle of the day.
4) Although you may be stuck doing it for the rest of your life sometimes buying candy out of the quarter machine when you first walk into the grocery store to keep your kids quiet is twenty-five cents well spent.
5) There is nothing good on TV anymore. (Except Fashion Star - am I the only one who likes this show?)
6) Although it may seem like a good idea to catch up on housework, projects, etc. while both kids are napping a more appealing alternative is to join the crowd and take a nap.
7) When you can't tell if the green things poking out of the ground are weeds or flowers it's probably best to just plant some type of fast growing ground cover and move on with your life.
8) Murphy's Law is fo' real. Your kids will be angelic, predictable human beings..until your husband goes to a late night basketball game and then all #%!@ will break loose.

1 comment:

  1. I personally feel that the best life lessons are learned at home. And it looks like you practically have a Ph.D. from The School of Hard Knocks. When is your commencement ceremony?

    ReplyDelete