Monday, February 13, 2012

Magic or Tragic?


Who likes zits? Not me. As a nearly 30 year old, shouldn't I be finished breaking out? I thought so, too. I have tried many remedies, but to no avail. Years ago an interesting (read: super-weirdo) woman told me to wrap a peed-in baby diaper around my face to clear up my skin. What the crap?!? After that, a friend of mine did some research and discovered that people actually do that! Apparently it is called Urine Therapy, or Urotherapy.

Evidently, Urotherapy has been around for centuries. In Roman times they drank their urine to whiten their teeth. I don't get this...pee is yellow. In Southern China, babies' faces were washed with urine as a skin protectant. To protect from what? Male animals marking their territory? In France, they soaked stockings in urine and then wrapped them around their necks to cure strep throat. The only reason this worked was because no one would come near them again to re-infect them.

I am a complete germaphobe, so this really freaks me out. I Googled Urine Therapy and found out that it is widely practiced today. All over the world. On one site promoting Urine, I read:

"Urine therapy refers to one of several uses of urine to prevent or cure sickness, to enhance beauty, or to cleanse one's bowels. Most devotees drink the midstream of their morning urine. Some prefer it straight and steaming hot; others mix it with juice or serve it over fruit. Some prefer a couple of urine drops mixed with a tablespoon of water applied sublingually several times a day. " source

Did anyone else just dry-heave? I think I will keep the zits, thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Thank goodness for modern times and medicines and creams and EVERYTHING else that isn't urine or fecal for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that the cure for a jellyfish sting is to pee on the site of the sting. But apparently it has to be your own urine...although the thought of someone else volunteering to pee on you is weird on a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete