Saturday, February 25, 2012

About Macing A Dog...


When "Anonymous" (probably my mom) asks, how can I not respond?

Is there much more to tell about this story. Not really.

My running companion (who shall remain nameless) and I were taking an early morning jaunt, and being the paranoid people that we are (hint: we share genetics), we brought handheld mace with us on all early morning runs.

I've mentioned that I'm not a pet person so when a charging, big, black, scary dog came after us barking and growling with dripping jowls, what did I do? I cowered and screamed and ran the other direction. What did my running companion (okay, it was my sister; hint: her name rhymes with "smelly") do? She jumped to action whipping out her hand held spray and let it rip.

What did the dog do?

All I really remember is that he (I am assuming it was male...girl power!) backed down rather sheepishly and ran away. And we finished our run, never speaking of this incident (until the next day...and about yearly since).

I do not condone macing people's pets.

But I also do not condone letting your pet just roam and terrorize the neighborhood so that you don't have to have the responsibility for taking them on walks.

Moral of the story?

If you don't want added responsibility, you don't want a pet.

There you go. Dead horse beaten. I will now forever retire posts about pets.

2 comments:

  1. If I had mace, I would have maced it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dog, I love my dog and if my dog did that to you I hope you'd mace her!!! (Next time don't run--that's when they bite!)

    ReplyDelete