Monday, January 9, 2012

Spelling Bee


When I was in second grade, I won our class spelling bee. It was a proud moment for me. This is why facebook is sometimes painful to me. How do so many people misspell so many of the same words? And, why are so many words (e.g. their, there, they're) used incorrectly? I am the first to admit that I am not a perfect speller. However, if I come across a word that I don't know how to spell, I will look it up.

I was thrilled to find the following diagram. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

Please review, and pass it along. The online world could use some better spellers.

And while I am at it...
  • height is not pronounced with a "th" on the end.
  • Both does not have an "L" in it (bolth)
  • You do not go acrossed the street. You go across.
  • It is pronounced lit-er-ally. Not lit-rally.
Sorry for the rant. I'm done now.

3 comments:

  1. Facebook drives me nuts for the exact same reason! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, depends on what part of the country you live to indicate how things are pronounced. I mean if you are a hick then all rules go out the window. Right, y'all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pet peeve written word: "Voila" --not "wah-lah" ;) (I'd add the accent mark if I knew how.)

    Thank you all for such a fun blog!

    ReplyDelete