Friday, January 27, 2012

A cringeworthy moment

Last night I was at the hospital visiting a friend. And because I’m a girl and apparently our bladders are the size of a sparrow’s, at some point in the visit I had to leave to go to the bathroom. I went swiftly down the hall to the visitor bathrooms.

The bathroom I went into was a big room in an L shape. Surprisingly large for a bathroom, but I didn’t really pay that much attention at the time. I often think that going to the bathroom must be how a criminal approaches a bank robbery. You’ve got a job to do, so you want to get it done as quickly as possible and get out of there.

As I sat, I kinda noticed something out of the corner of my eye. You know, when you think you see something but you’re certain that you can’t have. Similar to when you imagine the shadows forming shapes of scary faces on the wall… it’s just not real. Well, this was real. I looked back to where I’d seen the ‘something’, and saw a person! An elderly woman sitting in a wheelchair. How I had missed her when I walked into the bathroom, I have no idea. But now, this elderly woman was watching me use the bathroom.

What do you do when someone is watching you use the bathroom? You have a chat, naturally. ‘Sorry, were you wanting to use this?’ I said, still using it! ‘Yes, I was just waiting for the nurse to help me’. What I wanted to say was ‘Why the heck didn’t you say something when I walked in?’ and ‘How did I not see you!’ Well, after a very brief conversation and the speediest bathroom using you can possibly imagine, I left the room embarrassed and bamboozled beyond all comprehension.

And then, thankfully, I woke up.

I had to slap myself to make sure. It felt so real! And then, the sigh of relief. Thank goodness!

Hopefully, sometime soon, I’ll stop reliving the dream every few minutes and be able move on with life. It may be a while.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, you had me going! I hate not being able to shake a feeling like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the most hilarious story I heard in a long time. Thanks for sharing your nightmare:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahshaha Katrina - that was hilarious - even better if it was real!!! You are one funny chicken :) xxx

    ReplyDelete