Friday, December 2, 2011

A tribute to the banana

I love these.

Bananas. They’re like gold. And finally I can enjoy them again. Here’s why.
At the start of this year, my state Queensland was hit by a series of natural disasters. On 11 January, Brisbane was hit by a terrible flood. About a quarter of the city was under water, with many peoples’ homes and businesses destroyed.



The flood waters took quite a few days to recede and the clean up was enormous. I was 40 weeks pregnant to the day when it flooded… and no one has ever been more grateful to be overdue. I would not have been able to get to my hospital had I gone into labour that day. So, at 40 and a half weeks pregnant, I went with my husband out to homes which had been affected by the floods to help with clean up. It was messy, stinky, sludgy work but we were grateful to be helpers and not needing help ourselves.
Then, a few weeks later, a series of cyclones attacked the state. The worst of these, Yasi, absolutely obliterated some small towns, caused lots of damage to many homes, and destroyed my friend – the banana. Poor banana crops.

People have been working year round to put their homes back in order and to grow us some new bananas. Right after the disaster, because of supply and demand issues, bananas were around $25 a kilogram. Yikes. Slowly, the price has come down: $23, 19, 15, 12, 9, 8. They sat at around $8 for months. I could feel my palms sweating. Finally, in the last few weeks, bananas have come down to a sensible price - $3 and even $2 a kilogram. I can now enjoy them again guilt free!! Banana smoothies, banana splits, banana muffins. You are all mine!

So, please! Be nice to us this year, weather! Try not to destroy so many homes and cause so much damage. And for goodness sake, don’t take bananas from me again. Take the zucchini. No one likes that stuff anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I love bananas too! May the fruit in 2012 be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bananas too, and I hate to say this, but I think Australia is in for more cyclones in the future, and crops will be destroyed again, like they were by Cyclone Yasi early this year, and Cyclone Larry in 2006. I could not believe that climate change or global warming was not mentioned once by the media during the horrendous flooding of south east Queensland, or when Yasi hit. I guess it is not politically correct anymore to mention them anymore, even when the evidence hits us over the head almost every year.

    ReplyDelete