Saturday, December 17, 2011

The End of Ali and Roberto: WTC? Does Engagement Mean Nothing?


Sorry, long title.

This might come as a shock to all the faithful of you out there, but it is sometimes hard to come up with something to write each week. This was one of those weeks. I'm rather busy (as are you, I am sure) hauling out my holly.

So there I was checking out at my local grocery store this week, when the posting gods smiled upon me. I looked up to see none other than Bachelorette Ali Fedotowsky on the cover of People magazine telling of her break-up with Roberto Martinez, our favorite contestant of that season.

Surprised? Not really. The Bachelor franchise isn't for love as much as it is for humorous T.V. and uncomfortable moments. Hardly any of these couples make it.

I was intrigued by the story being the (closeted...well, I was before this blog) Bachelor fan that I am, so I looked up the story online later that evening.

I'm going to go back to Jami's recent Kathie Lee Gifford post on this one. Only, I sort of believe that engagement is making a commitment to commit, so while it wasn't marriage in this case, they still promised each other something.

According to the People article, here's what Ali has to say about their break-up and what I have to say to her about what she says:

"Ali admit[ted] she wasn't thrilled with their tight quarters in an 'industrial' area of San Diego."

Me: Ali, I don't feel bad for you at all. Well, maybe I do, because you didn't get the 'don't expect to have everything your parents have right away' talk from your Stake President that I got. Consequently, you should see some of the places I've lived in my married life. I'm pretty sure you could fit a queen-sized bed in your bedroom. That's more than I can say about several of my tight quarters.
"A lot of times what I wanted to do and what he wanted to do didn't match up."


Me: Wow, really, a man and a woman not wanting to do the same thing?! I'm intrigued by this...please tell me more. I just don't know how you dealt with that for as long as you did!! This is so immature. I think I solve this same argument between my 5 year-old and 3 year-old daily.

"He would rather be alone on weekends...He's more introverted. I love being around people and sharing stories and going out to dinner."

Me: Well Ali, according to me and my sisters, whom I've discussed your season of the Bachelorette with several times, you could use a little "introversion" in your life. You laugh too much and are always hugging and wrapping your legs around men you go out with and then send home later that night. And again, I am astonished that you even FOUND a man who doesn't love sitting around chatting with your friends. He probably only wants to watch sports...the nerve!
"Roberto seemed bothered that Ali was career-minded and had a social life. He is very old-fashioned when it comes to a woman's place."

Me: This one is to Roberto...so you wanted a conservative girl who was going to stay home, cook meals, and raise babies, and you went on the Bachelorette to find one?! I am really surprised that reality T.V. didn't give you what you were looking for. We need to get you to a singles' ward full of 18 year-olds dying to meet a handsome fella, have triplets, and try every recipe their YW leaders gave them since they were 12.

"I went back to our apartment and cooked this Spanish dish that his mom makes to do something special for him, so we could have dinner and talk'... Instead the tension-filled meal only served as confirmation that they were over."


Me: Too little, too late sweetheart. We all know that you aren't the "domestic-type." What you really should have done is laughed really hard at everything he said, wrapped your legs around him, and called Chris Harrison for a helicopter to take you on a tour of the "non-industrial" parts of San Diego. That is after all, what landed you a man in the first place.You know, sometimes I look at my wedding pictures and think, "You babies! What were your parents thinking allowing you to marry so young? You didn't have anything." But then I look at the problems the rest of the world has making and keeping commitments, and I know that I wouldn't do it any other way if given the chance. I recognize that there are many people who have real problems in relationships that are sometimes not salvageable.

Sorry Ali and Roberto, I don't see any REAL problems here.


Except one...you met on The Bachelorette.

3 comments:

  1. Nicely put Lindsay. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha. i just love the last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? Reality TV isn't the same as real life? Unheard of!

    ReplyDelete