Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Decor: From Love to Loathe

It's Christmas Eve, and if you are reading this right now, I am super jealous of your Christmas-organization skills. The fact that you even have time to fire up your computer or do some leisure reading on your phone is a real accomplishment in my book. I am sure that right about now, I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off because big events do that to me.

At any rate, let's get on with the original topic of this post:

CHRISTMAS DECOR

I don't have a lot to say about what kind of decor you choose; whether you prefer colorful lights or classic white lights is a moot point for my post today.

Some people go big:



While others, like myself, opt for a wreath on the door (lay off me, I just had a baby):


I think going big and going small both have their place. Either way, Christmas decorations are beautiful, festive, and fun from Thanksgiving through December 26.

After that point, they are just about the ugliest thing on earth.

I don't know why this change occurs so quickly, but it does. Some people like to keep their decorations up until New Year's Day. That's fine. I'm a December 26th kind of gal just because there really isn't a better time for me to clean it all up than the days just after Christmas when not a whole lot is going on.

When I was a kid our neighbors kept their tree up (probably just out of sheer laziness) and decorated it for Valentine's Day, and called it a Valentine's Tree. Yeah, there's a reason this idea didn't become a trend.

So after all of your celebrating today, tomorrow and through this week, if your house still looks holly jolly, I want you to take a good hard look at your decor and ask yourself, "Do I really like the way that looks?"

My guess is you'll answer "no."

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment