Monday, December 5, 2011

Bubble Girl


I love Christmastime. More than any other time of the year. I love the smells, the food, the music. But, what is it about this time of year that makes personal space shrink? Maybe it's the cold that makes everyone want to snuggle together. Maybe it's too much eggnog. Who knows? All I do know is that all this touching is why everyone always gets sick in the winter. Ok, that isn't a scientific fact, but I think it sounds pretty good.

I don't come from a family of huggers. In fact, the only form of hugging happening between my siblings is usually a half nelson. We all love each other, but from an acceptable distance. My husband's family is a bunch of huggers. The first few times around them really threw me off. And let's not forget the first time my husband tried to hug my dad....awkward.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I am so protective of my personal space. It may be that I am too boney. If I were one of those ladies with the soft arms and bosoms, I may feel more inclined to hug everyone. Maybe it is just that my ancestors came from England. The Brits don't do hugs, right? Whatever it is, I have made a conscious effort to break down my personal bubble. I have even made the first move for a hug a few times! Although, I still get freaked out when someone stands too close to me in line at the post office.

So, for those of you that get a little squeamish with hugs, here is a great link for you to check out on the etiquette of a hug. I found it very useful!

4 comments:

  1. Can we talk about how awkward relief society is with all the hugging? I like to walk in late just so I can avoid all the hello hugging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from a family of non-huggers, as well. If my parents try to give me a hug, I think something must be wrong. Liz, seriously hugging in RS? Can you spell C-R-E-E-P-Y?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say I am very happy with our "no hugging" friendship :) Our husband on the other hand....well, I think they are in love with each other. ha!

    ReplyDelete